Sunday, January 2, 2011

Quantum Machine

“! @#$%^$&$%&#$&#&#%&$%&#$&$%&#%&$%&”- This was Quantum mechanics to me.


And, I never could build on any knowledge in the realm of quantum mechanics.

But then, when I read about the Science Breakthrough of the year- the quantum machine, I was catapulted to its black hole.

To a naked eye the machine, looked a very infinitesimally small hair like thing, but it’s actually a tiny metal paddle of semiconductor. This was coaxed to dance with a quantum groove.

Machine was brought down to lowest energy state possible and then quantum of energy was provided to it and it started vibrating in such a manner that its motion could be explained only by quantum mechanics.

Bizarre theory of possibility of being in two states, certainly abstruse to me.

No, this blog is not to explain quantum mechanics or specifically the quantum machine, but this blog is to pay my tribute to those brains behind this great accomplishment.

Physicist Andrew Cleland and John martinis from university of California & their colleagues are the ingenuity behind it.

So, in this New Year, I wish them all the vey best. I hope they go ahead in transforming their studies to attain greater success.
I also hope that their findings open up new vistas of research and development, for all in the scientific realm, for the betterment of science & society.

No comments:

Post a Comment